Friday, May 20, 2011

An Eaves-dropped Conversation

I was circulating the classroom this morning during our Sensory play to watch students play, listen to their conversations and see where I needed (or had an idea for them to try) to step in.  As I was walking past the painting easels, I was floored by the conversation between two budding artists (one JK and one SK).

JK - I like your colours.

SK - Why, thank you.  You're using nice colours too.  I'm using rainbow colours.

JK - You even put them in the right order like our Rainbow board.  Are you going to put your Reading Rainbow words on them?

SK - No, I'm just using the colours to make a window frame for my picture.  Do you like my rectangle?

JK - Yes, it looks really neat with all the colours in a box.  Is someone going to look out it?

SK - Yes, me.  I'm looking at it now.  Maybe I should paint something in the window to show I'm looking out?

JK - That sounds good.  Can you give me an idea to paint in my window?  You have good ideas!

Wow.  Such an innocent and simple conversation, but with such complexities and richness!  To be able to discuss their own creations, their ideas and their plans and respond to other’s work is such a giant leap in thinking.  I am giddy to see what their final art creation will look like!!!

~Mrs. T. Clarke

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to see the final results. The windows turned into "photo frames" and rainbow art. I'll need to post some pictures as soon as I upload them.

    ~Mrs. Tereena Clarke

    ReplyDelete